7 Reasons to Consider Selling in Winter
December 14, 2021
Ah, winter. When the temperature plummets to -20 (with a windchill 10 degrees colder), moving becomes less of a priority especially when most people don’t even want to leave the house. Because of this, January and February are traditionally the slowest times for selling real estate market.
So why would you want to sell your home and move in the winter?
1. Listing inventory is traditionally low, so it can make your home more appealing when you’re the only show on the road and there’s little competition. Listings that check all the boxes (right neighbourhood, renovated, etc.) can still receive multiple offers in the dead of winter. Traditionally there are not a great number of really fantastic places on the market in the winter so yours would have a better chance to stand out from the rest.
Also, the internet doesn’t know what winter is – the vast majority of buyers have already done some searching online. If your home is the only one on your street for sale or one of a select few in a neighbourhood people want to be in, your home will attract more attention.
2. Buyers tend to be motivated in the winter. If they’re going to do their homework, get their paperwork ready and bundle up to go see homes, you know they are ready to buy. You may have fewer showings, but those that visit your home aren’t just kicking tires.
As a general rule, buyers looking for properties in the slower months are more focused to buy.
3. Many of the highest prices achieved for home sales are in the cooler months due to the lack of inventory.
4. It’s a great opportunity to show how “cozy in the cool” your home is. What a great time to feature that gas or wood burning fireplace you don’t get to show off in the warmer months!
5. It’s the ideal time to show how energy efficient your home is. Make sure to have utility bills available for any interested buyers to review… during winter months, energy costs are top of mind.
6. Many people see the New Year as a time for new beginnings and that includes finding a new home to start new memories in.
7. It’s easier to prep your home for showings when the outside is covered in snow; no landscaping, weeding, grass cutting, etc makes selling in the winter months a lot more enjoyable.
If you’re considering making a move, please reach out and we can start the conversation!